A Victorian mahogany partner's desk
A Victorian mahogany partner's desk, the rectangular top with gadrooned edge and inset with green leather writing surface, above an arrangement of nine drawers, with nine opposing drawers, each pedestal mounted with carved rosettes, raised on plinth bases, 75.5cm high, 152cm wide, 136cm deep
Provenance: Sir Robert Ludwig Mond (1867-1938).
This large Victorian partners desk and two chairs (lot 351) were gifted by the Coombe Bank estate of the late Sir Robert Ludwig Mond (1867-1938). The 慍ompany?referred to on the plaques to the reverse of the chairs is thought to be Brunner-Mond, the company founded by his father the German-born industrialist Ludwig Mond (1839-1909), of which Sir Robert became a Director; which was later merged
with Imperial Chemicals Industries (ICI).
Sir Robert, a chemist and archaeologist, had a passionate interest in Egyptian archaeology, organising and personally financing various expeditions. He bequeathed his extensive collection of Egyptian and Classical antiquities to a large number of museums across Britain including the British Museum and numerous other museums including the Ashmolean, Liverpool, Sheffield, Royal Museum of Ontario and Institute of Jamaica.
Please refer to department for condition report